(IMAESCII516) Forum Responses I made for my classmates...a recap

As we conclude the first half of this semester for this module, I would like to share a recap of my participation in the forum discussions we had in this class. 

As an overview, since Dr. Andreas and our classmates were unable to meet face-to-face this semester due to the pandemic, our classes and activities have taken place online. This means even class participation in online class fora are the material representations and artifacts we produced. In a way, I like it because then it becomes a personal record for me. I just wish it can be retrievable after class. 

I can still argue that the constructivist and connectivist theories are still very much salient in my participation to this module. Teacher and student presence remains largely relevant and necessary to ensure that students receive proper guidance and framing of the issues. Learner self-directedness may be affected by a number of motivational and external factors. Therefore, even the virtual learning environments still need to be stimulated by both live and text-based interactions to sustain participative sessions.  

Here are some of the forum posts I have made so far. The rest of the posts I have created and replied were reflected as separate reflective posts in this blog. 

=================================

1. (ON LEARNING THEORIES) Create a short but informative piece of learning content explaining the basic points of a learning theory and respective pedagogy and its implication for teaching adults online (e.g. a presentation, a video, an animation, an infographic using free online tools such as powtoon, prezi, easel etc). U can work alone or in a group.

McRhon: The thought processes to coming up with this content took us (Me and my classmate Justyna. Read Justyna's blog too! ) days to understand and to even narrow down; as we think that the perspectives from Constructivism alone were plenty. We have to narrow down our key principles to this 5 mins video so we ourselves could remember this theory by heart. It was difficult, but we learned a lot and enjoyed making it. We are not used to presenting ourselves on camera so this might be another skill for us to learn along the way.

P.S. Do not record from the library. We were scolded a number of times at the cafeteria. Hahaha!

(Note: Refer to the video linked here. Password is 'OUC')

2. On the basis of your study of the materials and perhaps some of the extra resources suggested above and your personal research, please try to write a post with your thoughts on the following questions:

  • What u think should be the right balance between cognitive, social and teaching presence? Which one should be given more priority in our course? Why?
  • Can u identify good examples of cognitive, social or teaching presence in our course? Why do u think they are good examples?
McRhon: Hi Andreas, Seems like I missed this question last week so I am closing my personal learning loop for this week's theme.

I concur that these 3 elements have to be in our current learning system, most especially now when the pandemic has left institutions, faculty and learners grappling with the suitable approaches and methodologies for teaching, learning, and in designing programmes and interventions. In our course, however, I do not agree that one aspect be given priority over the other. Adult learners come from a multitude of experiences, cultural upbringings and backgrounds that would affect their capacity to adapt easily to the learning process. The teacher on the other hand, would need to have information about the profiles of these students so (s)he can tailor-fit the programme to meet the learners' needs. I am not saying we focus solely on one element more than the other. But at the same time, the course details doesn't need to be cast in stone once classes have started. It still needs to be tweaked so that the social, cognitive and teacher presence stays relevant and updated along the way.

This makes me sometimes question the role of the management of these courses by the universities. In most cases, there is no longer much leniency or space for faculty to alter or change some aspects of the programme or of the course once it is already submitted and approved. This is because of specific standards/criteria the faculty need to observe during the design and development stages of the module; and possibly due to finding guidelines. I may be wrong or limited in my observation. But I wonder how the universities' view of these things have progressed.

Your presence, Andreas is essentially important in this programme because we are generally new in this field. I also cannot emphasise how important your role in facilitating these discussions in synchronous sessions, and challenging us through the weekly forum discussions. This makes our learning experience rather more authentic than if we don't meet you throughout the programme. And from this I think, stems how we strive to work together in all our assignments, activities and readings.

3. Some learning materials offer guidance on how to save lives. The Lifesaver interactive videos can help people save lives. Taking the perspective of the mainstream values of your home community, how acceptable –and hence useful- you think these videos (or just one of them) would be in informing this community on CPR? Why? Alternatively, you can check "Stan"!

McRhon: Hi Andreas!

I watched both and played the interactive games. They are both intense; and the 'Stan' video pumped some of my adrenalin while playing it.

Just processing how intense watching these videos are, my heart is still beating fast as I type this. I was a bit concerned about the pace of the videos and the timing of each of the segments were presented.

The thesis I suppose is that when one is dealing with life and death situations, s/he still need to remain calm and rational while acting on the tasks. I wonder if there's any way they can capture the feedback of the participants after dealing with the tasks or watching the videos to understand the collective behaviour of the participants. Questions may include something about the things they learned/recall, how effective they performed the tasks, how did they feel when failed to meet the tasks on time, all in the context of an emergency situation.

Situating this on the perspective of age and culture, I think these will appeal to learners who are more comfortable in working with computers. If these games will be shared to the elderly people, I wonder how they will respond when asked to play. In the design of such videos and online games, we may consider some age-sensitive aspects. For elders, that would mean they can tick items especially if they are beginning to use computers; rather than make them walk or run virtually using different buttons. Presenting youth actors for the video targeting elders might also present a different response too. They will probably just scream and shout just like watching a suspense film.

Also, I share that in most conservative cultures, some scenes may need to be reworked to accommodate some cultural sensitivities.

4. Think of a lived experience of yours.
  • Have u ever found yourself in the position to believe that u r one of the Other Learners? How did u feel? What others did? What did u do? What could u do?
  • Have u ever found yourself in the position to believe that an individual or a group of people u somehow know first-hand (e.g. a peer, a colleague, a student, a local community, a friend, a group of local people, etc) belongs to the Other Learners? How u understood them? How did u feel about them? What others did? What did u do? What could u do?
McRhon: Hi Andreas,

Thanks for opening up your own story to our class. From your struggles and ambitions, to your aspirations and influencers shaping your own perspective and thinking about learning and education, there are so many things to learn and reflect upon.

I also liked your point as to how the tasks you have asked us to work in these past few weeks can be a privilege to some, and a struggle (or 'othering') for the other. I admit that I am in no way an academic and could think like one. Therefore, even if you have given us options to participate in these virtual discussions, I still have (I suppose) the agency to decide which way I can possibly grasp some, if not all of the readings assigned in the class.

Do I feel I am gaining much in this process, certainly there is? But it may not necessarily not in the way how you probably designed this course in the process. Pedagogy both as a concept, and as a practice only validates that one's learning could take place in different timing and by using different platforms. One may essentially be good at one, and may be not be at the other.

But to be honest, who cares? The measure of one's mastery and level of intelligence may not necessarily be drawn by simply memorising all these theories and theoreticians.

Do I feel I 'othered' in the process? Yes and No. 'Yes' because my learning style may not be the style academics and practitioners have been trained to. 'No' because I acknowledge my own learning style and I would invite people who are keen to consider collaborating if they find the idea interesting. If not, it is certainly not the end of the world for me as I will continue to explore other options to expand my horizons in many ways.

I also liked that you acknowledge that some of your students prefer certain aspects of 'performativity' in your teaching to keep them engaged. There is no cookie-cutter approach to learning, as well as teaching.

Thank you again.

5. Find a film, a poem, a novel, a short story, a picture, an animation, a song, a video clip or any other artifact that u think it tells something about the Other Adult Learner and comment upon it. How this Other Adult Learner is imagined or 'described'? Reflect on how u, as an adult educator, could relate to this adult(s). Post your thoughts. U can also do this in groups.

McRhon: Hi Andreas, Hi classmates,

These 4 observations were a result of a deep reflection we had through the zoom conversations and artifacts we presented this evening. There are a lot of competing narratives on who is responsible for the 'OTHERING' of the 'OTHER LEARNER', and whether the Adult Learner is in itself 'THE OTHER LEARNER'. Sometimes, we felt we are at the mercy of the people, institutions and society's expectations to conform and perform. And we are most likely the first to be affected and displaced when we offer an alternative or competing idea. As I reflect further after these zoom sessions, it seems that this are inextricably intertwined and interconnected complexities that brought forth 'The Other Leaner' as well as its impacts to fellow learners and adult educators that must surface and be addressed. If we are truly responsible and committed to social change, we can also be the catalyst that can minimise these barriers that prevents the economically and socially deprived and marginalised to participate and reap the fruits of learning, whether online or onsite.

(Note: Please read my classmate, Olivia's blog for the post on Module 4 as she enumerated all the questions we outlined in that emotional zoom session with Justyna. Lots of lovely contents there too!)

6. Try to find passages in your or others’ posts in this course which directly or indirectly talk about the Other Adult Learner. How this learner is imagined or ‘described’? What are the implications?

McRhon: Hi Andreas,

Just watching the video I collaborated with Justyna and Olivia, I can still feel how our respective experiences made us all 'othered' in some ways. I'd like to emphasise that it was a struggle for me to reach the point where I am able to speak to you and my classmates about my situation. Primarily because these kinds of conversations are not really valued in workplaces, especially where the intention is to make profit. I would only find myself locked in the room, thinking what happened to me during my work week and reflect whether my work did make an impact. I felt that in suppressing the 'otherness' feeling, one needs to recognise that s/he is being othered. And rather than solve this situation alone, it is important to actually be in a group where one could find support and encouragement. I am glad to have found this in some colleagues in school and at work. 

7. Self-initiated forum question on Open Educational Resources (OERs)

McRhon: Hello Andreas! Hello classmates! 

I have been reading your posts and challenging questions. I will try my very best to respond to them after completing our assignment 1 (haha!)!

I thought to make this thread a bit exciting. Our OUC eClass has a video feature where you could actually record video responses for at most 2 minutes even in this forum!. Isn't that great?

So a twist to this thread is this. I gave a personal response to OER based on the readings this week and added a question through this video. If you can, please respond to my question using the video format function of our eClass. 

Sounds exciting right? Looking forward to your video replies!

And remember, at the end of it all - as future adult learners it is not just the process and aesthetics of transmitting knowledge that we should be mostly concerned, but in making learning meaningful through co-creation and democratisation of access!

McRhon

(P.S. I'm sure once you do this, you will develop your self-confidence on cam!)

Update: Sadia (check her blog too!) gave me the first video response to my forum video discussion and question. Read my second photo and notes below)! Yay!



I praise my classmate Justyna for being an inspiring collaborator for many of our forum discussion assignments in this module. Written posts are certainly comprehensive. But video collaborations like this are more emotive, encouraging and inspiring. 



I liked this forum discussion format where people speak too as a form of response. This in a way can be a good substitute for the face-to-face sessions we missed in class this semester. (Screenshot by McRhon)



Comments

sadia bashir said…
Thank you McRhon for acknowledging my response, and secondly for checking my Blog too. Yes definitely, when you explored and initiated a video response in the form of asking a question to engage others was quite interesting. You know what, after this practice, I got the confidence to face the camera and uploaded two introductory videos on the canvas of Indiana University.
Thanks
Dear Sadia,

As always, I am very glad to help. We are all in this journey, so please do not hesitate to ask any help. Great to know you liked the video discussion exercise too! There are so many things to learn in virtual classrooms/LMS platforms!

See you soon,
McRhon